The 28th Amendment? - An Idea/Proposition
I received this from a Facebook friend and think it has some good ideas in it.
I mostly like it except for: I believe that elections and our politics should be free; i.e. No term limits for Congress members. If the people keep re-electing a person, so be it. I do think intra-party competition needs to be changed somehow for more competition. I support changing and doing away with the Electoral College. A retired KU professor for example has a great idea on a new system I read about previously for example here and here.
I believe Congress members and the President should get paid very well and there should be much (more) competition for these positions. It's ridiculous the choices we have been getting the past couple of years (Hilary, Trump, Biden, etc.). Are these really the best, brightest, or highest character people we have to choose from in America?? This is also what inspired this very website.
This is somewhat due to the right-wing media pulling the right farther right and the huge political divide we now have. The democratic party meanwhile (along with the media) seemingly pick winners and losers and set it up for people like Biden and Hilary to win the nomination. That's why I left the democratic party and became an Independent. There's too much corporate corruption - that and the constant war(s) and massive debt accumulation the U.S. government now has. It seems - some corporations are on one side and other corporations (or organizations and people) are on the other side. Failure after failure could be the reason why Donald Trump was even elected, along with corruption, in my opinion, throughout the media and education system, etc (or not as good as it should and could be, let's do better!). Misinformation, lies, deceit, and the love of money. Our own President of the United States (Trump and the 2020 Election for example) seemed to be constantly lying to the faces of the American people and that's supposed to be acceptable? Well, I don't think it is.
The proposition reads:
28th Amendment, 35 States and Counting. It will take you less than a minute to read this. If you agree, please pass it on. It's an idea whose time has come to deal with this self-serving situation: OUR PRESENT SITUATION !
Children of Congress members do not have to pay back their college student loans. Staffers of Congress family members are also exempt from having to pay back student loans. Members of Congress can retire at full pay after only one term. Members of Congress have exempted themselves from many of the laws they have passed, under which ordinary citizens must live. For example, they are exempt from any fear of prosecution for sexual harassment. And as the latest example, they have exempted themselves from Healthcare Reform, in all of its aspects. We must not tolerate an elite class of such people, elected as public servants and then putting themselves above the law. I truly don't care if they are Democrat, Republican, Independent, or whatever. The self-serving must stop. Governors of 35 states have filed suit against the Federal Government for imposing unlawful burdens upon their states. It only takes 38 (of the 50) States to convene a Constitutional Convention.
Proposed 28th Amendment to the United States Constitution: "Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and/or Representatives; and, Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and/or Representatives that does not apply equally to the Citizens of the United States ..."
This is an idea that should be passed around, regardless of political party.
Congressional Reform Act of 2017
1. No Tenure / No Pension. A Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they're out of office. And, no more perks go with them.
2. Congress (past, present, & future) participates in Social Security. All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.
3. Congress must purchase their own retirement plan, just as ALL Americans do.
4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.
5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.
6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people (i.e. NO MORE INSIDER TRADING!!!).
7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen/women are void. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen/women. Congress made all these contracts by and for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor and privilege NOT a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators should serve their term(s), then go home and go back to work … not get all kinds of freebies. Let’s help get the country straightened out.